The Skanderbeg Museum in Kruje honors Gjergj Kastrioti Skënderbej (1405–1468), the national hero of Albania. The museum contains objects dating back to Skanderbeg’s time. The exhibits have been arranged in a way that chronicles his life and military feats. Paintings, armor, and other artifacts dating back to his time have been exhibited to showcase one of the proudest periods of Albanian history. An interesting display is the replica of the hero’s famous goat head-topped helmet, the original of which is on display at the Kunsthistorisches Museum. The memorial building was designed by Pirro Vaso and Pranvera Hoxha.
The National Ethnographic Museum in Kruja was inaugurated on November 20, 1989. It is placed in a characteristic urban building of 1764. This building is a first class culture monument. It has 15-16 rooms and the objects exhibited outside give a complete view of the crafts applied in Kruja and all over Albania and also of the way of living since 300 years ago. 90% of this museum items are original and 100% are functional. Items of ceramics, wood, stone, iron, cotton, silk and wool and various embroideries are exhibited here with finesse. These objects have an age varying from 60-70 to 500 years.
The Krujë Skanderbeg Monument was the first ever dedicated to Skanderbeg in Albania. The monument features the statue of the national hero Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg, armored, and riding his horse in battle. It is one of the most beloved monuments of the city, and a scenic view, with the Mount Dajti National Park in the background.
Archaeological site of Albanopoli – On a hill side near the village of Zgerdhesh (between Kruje and Fushe-Kruje) are the ruins of the ancient city of ‘Albanopolis’, the capital of the Illyrian tribe ‘Alban’ which flourished from the end of the 3rd century A.D. It is from the ‘Alban’ Illyrian tribe that the country started to be called ‘Albania’ and the people ‘Albanians’. A visit to Ancient Zgerdhesh is rewarding for the magnificent views across the coastal lowlands towards the Adriatic as well as for the impressive remains of Illyrian walls and fortifications.
Kruja Castle – was built during the 5th and 6th centuries and has an elliptical shape with a total area of 2,25 hectars. The surrounding walls are reinforced by nine towers, which served as an observation and signaling post during times of war. Within the walls of the castle there can still be found the remains of a few houses.